PHENYTOIN INDUCED EXANTHEMATOUS RASH WITH SEVERE LEUKOPENIA AND ANEMIA-A CASE REPORT.
Copyright (c) 2019 Dr.Nithish Kingston
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Phenytoin is the most common and widely used antiepileptic drug.It is used for the prevention and treatment of generalized seizures, partial seizures and status epileptics. Cutaneous reactions are a common adverse effect associated with antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) and a cause of treatment discontinuation. Such reactions range from mild rashes to more serious conditions such as Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis. With phenytoin , for instance, skin rashes occur in up to 16% of patients at the beginning of therapy .
2. Chadwick D, Shaw MD, Foy P, Rawlins MD, Turnbull DM (1984) Serum anticonvulsant concentrations and the risk of drug induced skin eruptions. J NeurolNeurosurg Psychiatry 47: 642-644
3. Neki ,N.S., Shah ,D.M., Phenytoin induced severe agranulocytosis and hepatitis – case report. Journal of Chitwan Medical College .2016,6(17), 67-68.
4. Charles S. Hesdorffer, M.D Drug-Induced Megaloblastic Anemia .The New England Journal of Medicine n engl j med 373;17 nejm.org October 22, 2015.
5. P Tiwari, R Panik, A Bhattacharya, D Ahirwar, A Chandy, Toxic epidermal necrolysis: an update, Asian Pac J Trop Dis, 3(2),2013,85-92.
6. N Kaniwa, E Sugiyama, Y Saito, K Kurose, K Maekawa, R Hasegawa et al, Specific HLA types are associated with antiepilepticdrug-induced Stevens- Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis in Japanese subjects.Pharmacogenomics,14,2013,1821e31
7. Brown SC, Dauterive RL. Anticonvulsant hypersensitivity syndrome secondary to carbamazepine. In Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings; 2017.
8. BathulaGowthami, TippaluruSpurthi, MurahariSudha Rani, Phenytoin induced Dress-A care report.
9. Archanavijayendra, Nilaymodi, keshavaidya, Rima shah, sagundesaiPhynetoin induced toxic epidermal necrolysis- Acase report.