Share:


KNOWLEDGE AND LEVEL OF PRACTICE ON MENOPAUSE AMONG POST-MENOPAUSAL WOMEN IN A SELECTED COMMUNITY.

    Karpaga lakshmi Affiliation

Abstract

A study was conducted to assess the Knowledge and level of practice on menopause among postmenopausal women. Non Experimental Design was used with 30 menopausal women who were selected using non-random purposive sampling technique. A Structured Questionnaire was used to assess the knowledge and practice on menopause. The result revealed that majority of the postmenopausal women had average level of knowledge and practice on menopause and had a positive correlation between knowledge and practice.

How to Cite
lakshmi, K. (2019). KNOWLEDGE AND LEVEL OF PRACTICE ON MENOPAUSE AMONG POST-MENOPAUSAL WOMEN IN A SELECTED COMMUNITY. Jmcrr, 2(1). Retrieved from http://jmcrr.info/index.php/jmcrr/article/view/32
Online First
Jan 27, 2019
Abstract Views
11
PDF Downloads
3
XML Downloads
0
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Introduction:

Menopause is a normal part of life, just like puberty. It is the time of cessation of menstruation. Menopause is a normal condition that all women experience as they age. Just as the onset of the menstrual cycle signals the passage from being a girl to woman, similarly menopause marks a woman’s passage to a new phase in life.

Menopause is an opportunity for the fullest blossoming of a woman’s power, wisdom and creativity. It’s a bridge to a new phase of life when many women report feeling more confident, empowered and energized.

The onset of menopause heralds a time of diminished oestrogen exposure, which may have both acute chronic effect on health and quality of life. Observational studies suggests that, as many as 75% of women will experience hot flushes after menopause, if left untreated, most women will have spontaneous cessation of hot flushes within 5 years or more. The menopausal syndrome has not as yet been seen as life-threating because an increased life span is a recent phenomenon for Indian women.

India has a large population which has already crossed the 1 billion mark with 71 million people over 60 year of age and the number of menopausal women about 43 millions. According to IMS ( Indian menopause society ) there are about 65 million Indian women in the age group of 43 years where the average age of women in menopause is around 48 years. So menopause health demands even higher priority in Indian scenario.

Statement of the problem:

A study to assess the knowledge and level of practice on menopause among post-menopausal women in a selected community area at Coimbatore.

Objectives:

  • To assess the knowledge on menopause among the post-menopausal women.

  • To assess the level of practice on menopausal symptoms among the post-menopausal women.

  • To correlate the knowledge and level of practice on menopause.

  • To find out the association between knowledge and level of practice with selected demographic variables.

Research hypotheses:

H1=There is a significant difference in the post test level of quality of life, physical and psychological symptoms among post-menopausal women.

This study is delimited to selected community area. Assumption of this study is a woman lacks knowledge regarding various aspects of menopause .Awareness regarding Knowledge on menopause is essential.

Methodology:

The study adopted Non-Experimental Design. 30 menopausal women were selected from a community as samples through non random sampling technique. The data were collected by using following tools:

  1. Demographic data which includes age of the women, education, type of family, occupation, income, marital status, age of menarche, duration of menstrual flow, age at which menopause attained.

  2. A Structured Questionnaire to assess the knowledge of women on menopause in various aspects such as onset of menopause, symptoms and effect of menopause on health.

  3. A Structured Questionnaire related to practice on menopause in various aspects like consultation of physician, measures taken to manage symptoms of menopause, Breast Self-Examination.

The content validity was obtained from senior faculty members of R.V.S. College Of Nursing .The main study was conducted in the month of June 2018.After obtaining consent from the samples data was collected by self-administering questionnaire.

Results and Discussion:

Level of knowledge Frequency (%)
Good (61-90) 23 76.7
Average (31-60) 7 23.3
Poor (0-30) 0 0.0

Frequency and percentage distribution of samples according to the level of knowledge regarding menopause.

Table 1 shows the frequency and percentage of sample according to the level of knowledge regarding menopause.

Majority of the samples 23(76.7%) had good knowledge, and remaining 7(23.3%) had average knowledge.

Figure 1 Table-1 concluded that majority had good level of knowledge regarding menopause.

Frequency and percentage distribution of samples according to the level of knowledge regarding menopause.

Level of practice Frequency %
Poor 0 0.0
Average 25 83.3
Good 5 16.7

Frequency and percentage distribution of samples according to the level of practice regarding menopause. N=30

Table II shows the frequency and percentage of samples according to the level of practice on menopause.

Majority of the samples 25(83.3%) had average level of practice and remaining 5(16.7%) samples had good practice on menopause.

Figure 2 Table-II concluded that majority had average level of practice on menopause.

Frequency and percentage distribution of samples according to the of practice regarding menopause.

Table-3: correlation between knowledge and practice regarding menopause among post-menopausal women. N=30

Variable Maximum score Mean score Mean % Standard deviation r- value
Knowledge 90 64.63 71.81 9.25 0.244
Practice 36 21.00 58.33 3.15

81% and mean practice score was 5833%A low positive correlation was found between menopause knowledge and attitude (r=0244)

Table 3 Shows the correlation between knowledge and practice regarding menopause.

In this study no association between knowledge and level of practice on menopause with selected demographic variables such as age, education was found. A low positive correlation was found between menopause knowledge and attitude.

The findings of the study concluded that majority of the post-menopausal women had average level of knowledge and practice on menopause and had a positive correlation between knowledge and practice. The study has an implication on nursing practice and nursing research. Nurses can play a major role in increasing the knowledge and practice by developing an accurate and appropriate programme to promote post-menopausal women’s health during menopausal years.

Recommendation of the study, it can be replicated on larger sample for generalization and in various setting using different sampling techniques for different population.

References:

  1. Comprehensive Textbook of Echocardiography (First Edition$\mathsemicolon$ Volume 1 and Volume 2), edited by NavinC. Nanda, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers Ltd., Delhi, London and Philadelphia 2014, 2070 pages. Abidov Aiden. Echocardiography.2014-jan;:262-263. [ CrossRef ] [Google Scholar]
  2. The Role of Ultrasound in Gynaecology Bourne Tom. Dewhurst\textquotesingles Textbook of Obstetrics & Gynaecology.2012;:435-447. [ CrossRef ] [Google Scholar]
  3. Ridley\textquotesingleS The Vulva, 3rd Edition Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.2010-apr;:335-336. [ CrossRef ] [Google Scholar]
  4. Chapter-39 Delayed Menopause sen Bipasa. Clinical Practice Guidelines on Menopause.2015;:363-367. [ CrossRef ] [Google Scholar]
  5. Prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in postmenopausal south Indian women Harinarayan CV. Osteoporosis International.2004-jul;:397-402. [ CrossRef ] [Google Scholar]